Dennis McCoy | Sacramento Business Journal
Hays shows off stamps she designed for the Sacramento Business Journal's Women Who Mean Business special section.
I’m currently a designer at The Seattle Times, where I layout local news, features and entertainment sections.
Previously, I was the lead designer at the Sacramento Business Journal where I oversaw the design of our weekly paper, brainstormed big ideas for special sections and fiddled with code to improve our web design.
My favorite work is always a team effort and usually involves trying something out of the ordinary, whether that’s building Lego sculptures for special sections or collaborating on a last-minute cover story about Sacramento’s new MLS team.
Previously, I’ve worked at The Virginian-Pilot, where I designed daily news and sports pages. I also led the design team for three years at Elon News Network, where I redesigned our print paper, launched our special projects site and helped create the inaugural Best Of special section.
When not thinking about news design, you can find me taking photos, going for a run or checking out hiking trails.
Phone: (425) 765-5285
• 2019 Award of Excellence from the Society for News Design for Business Cover
• 2019 Award of Excellence from the Society for News Design for Cover Story/Spread
• 2019 First Place from the California News Publishers Association for Informational Graphic
• 2019 First Place award from Michigan State University Society for News Design for Front Page Design
• 2018 Student Communications Media Award from Omicron Delta Kappa. "This award is presented to the student who has contributed the most to advance communications on campus during the current academic year."
• 2018 Member of the Year award and 2016, 2017 Peak Performer award from Elon News Network.